We all love our body lotions but did you know most conventional brands are not as innocent as they look. There are dozens of ingredients currently being used in top-brand body lotions that range from questionable to potentially toxic and dangerous.
Most dangerous ingredients in your lotion:
- Fragrance or “parfum” (generally, this means the presence of hormone-disrupting phthalates)
- Benzyl alcohol (likely carcinogenic)
- PEG-100 stearate (sometimes contaminated with 1,4-dioxane, which has high rates of carcinogenesis)
So instead of buying a commercial product for yourself, why not try making your own homemade lotion with healthy ingredients. This healthy frankincense and myrrh lotion has a lasting fragrance, as well as making skin silky smooth.
Homemade Frankincense and Myrrh Lotion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Beeswax
- 1/4 cup shea butter
- 2 tbsp Vitamin E
- 15 drops frankincense essential oil
- 15 drops myrrh essential oil
- BPA free lotion dispenser bottle
- Mix coconut oil, olive oil, beeswax and shea butter in a bowl then place that bowl in sauce pan with water.
- Heat stove to medium and mix ingredients together
- Once mixed put in refrigerator for an hour until solid
- With a regular mixer or hand mixer beat the mixture until it is whipped and fluffy. Then add essential oils and vitamin E and mix
- Fill container and store in cool place
Myrrh Essential Oil and Cancer
A 2011 study found that myrrh oil was able to reduce the proliferation or replication of human cancer cells.
Researchers at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ identified a compound in myrrh actually kills cancer cells in the laboratory showing particular promise for the prevention and treatment of breast and prostate cancer. “As part of a larger search for anticancer compounds from plants, the researchers obtained extracts from a particular species of myrrh plant (Commiphora myrrha) and tested it against a human breast tumor cell line (MCF-7) known to be resistant to anticancer drugs.” Researchers believe myrrh works by inactivating a protein called Bcl-2 which is overproduced by cancer cells found particularly in breast and prostate cancers. This action in myrrh may be due to the high number of sesquiterpenes myrrh contains. Additionally, elemene has been identified as the unique component of Myrrh essential oil and has been proven to show improved effect on treatment of cancerous brain tumors.
Other Therapeutic Uses
Appetite, anger, asthma, rejuvenate mature complexions, rheumatism, skin ulcers, sore throats, sores, spongy gums, stress, viral infections, wounds, wrinkles, athlete’s foot, bedsores, boils, bronchitis, chapped skin, colds, coughs, digestive system, eczema, gingivitis, hemorrhoids, mouth ulcers. It protects your body from infections, by strengthening and activating your immune system.