Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BHP) or also known as enlarged prostate is a disorder that most commonly affects man at the age of 50 and older. BHP is different from prostate cancer.
The prostate is a walnut sized gland that is part of the male reproductive system. It is located beneath the urinary bladder and in front of the rectum. Its function is to make some of the fluid that nourishes and protects sperm cells in the semen.
During the process of aging, the cells of the gland begin to multiply which results in enlarged prostate. Although the exact cause is unknown, changes in male sex hormones with age may be a factor.
Here are top 5 home remedies for this problem:
- Cornt Silk
Corn silk acts as a natural dieuretic which has the ability to relax the urinary muscles and lining. This results in improved urine flow.
- Pur 4 cups of water in a pot and then add the silk of 6 ears of fresh corn in it. After it starts to boil, let it simmer for another 10 minutes. Once prepared, strain the mixture and you can drink 3 cups of this corn silk tea on daily basis.
- Another option is do 1dd 15 drops corn silk extract to 1 cup of water and drink it a few times a day.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is very beneficial when it comes to enlarged prostatte due to its astringent properties that help shrink swollen prostate glands. It also aids weight loss and helps prevent complications of enlarged prostate like UTIs.
- In a glass of warm water, mix 1-2 tbsp of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and 1 tbsp of honey. Drink this beverage twice daily.
- Add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar to a bathtub of water and soak in it for 10 to 15 minutes. Enjoy this soothing bath a few times a week.
- Sitz Bath
A contrast sitz bath is a soothing and effective remedy for enlarged prostate. The hot bath will help relax the pelvic muscles, reduce swelling and promote healing. On the other hand, the cold bath will ease pain.
- Fill one bathtub with warm water and add ½ cup of Epsom salt to it.
- Fill another bathtub with cold water and add a few drops of lavender essential oil to it.
- First, sit in the bathtub with hot water up to your waist for 3 minutes.
- Next, sit in the bathtub with cold water up to your waist for 1 minute.
- Do this 2 more times. The last bath should always be in the cool water.
- Enjoy a sitz bath a few times each week.
Note:Do not follow this remedy if you have acute bacterial prostatitis.
- Rye Grass Pollen Extract
Rye grass pollen extracts are made from three types of grass pollen — rye, timothy, and corn. BJU International published a review of studies which discovered men who were taking rye grass pollen extracts reported an improvement in their symptoms compared to those who were taking a placebo.
This supplement has the ability to help you prevent the need to get up during the night and use the bathroom. Moreover, it can also help men urinate more completely, so there is less urine left in the bladder afterwards.
- Stinging Nettle
Stinging nettle can also lessen BHP symptoms since the root contains essential bioactive phytochemicals that help shrink prostate tissue. In addition, stinging nettle can be used to encourage the elimination of inflammatory wastes through urination because it is a natural diuretic.
- In a cup of hot water, add 1 teaspoon of dried nettle leaves. Steep for ten minutes and then strain it. Drink this tea for 2 or 3 times on daily basis.
- You can also take a stinging nettle supplement. The usual amount is 300 mg daily. Always consult a doctor before taking a supplement for the correct dosage for your condition.