This vegetable is one of the richest sources of iron and it actually contains more iron than spinach does. Moreover, it packs more vitamin C content than citrus fruits like lemons and oranges.Despite the fact that this amazing herb is abundant in other nutrients as well and it provides many health benefits, it seems that it is often overlooked. It is plant of European origin but it is widespread today and people grow it everywhere around the world.
According to a recent study, watercress is the healthiest vegetable on the planet! It provides antioxidant properties and reduces oxidative stress. It is also found to stimulate appetite, purify the blood, refresh the body, and detoxify the whole body.
Watercress is mostly used in the form of fresh juice. It is recommended to mix 1 part of watercress and 5 parts of water, as it is very powerful and may cause inflammation of the throat and stomach if taken undiluted. Moreover, don’t consume it on a daily basis, but every other day instead.
This juice is beneficial for external uses too, such as treating hair loss, skin impurities, and various skin diseases. All you have to do is to rub it onto the problematic area or use a watercress compress, which is beneficial for treating sun spots.
It has been scientifically shown that watercress has the ability to hinder tumor growth and metastasis. Some studies even suggest that prevents and treats breast cancer as well as cardiovascular diseases. Heavy smokers are recommended to eat a watercress salad as it reduces the detrimental effects of smoking.
HOW TO MAKE A WATERCRESS COMPRESS?
- First, chop the watercress leaves into tiny pieces
- Clean the affected area thoroughly prior to applying the compress
- When done with the application, secure the area well with bandage
- Let the compress work for 2-4 hours before removing it and washing the area with cold water
THE WATERCRESS SALAD!
To prepare the watercress salad, follow the instructions below:
- Wash the leaves well
- Place them in a salt water and vinegar and leave it for about an hour
- Mix the watercress with olive oil, lemon juice, chopped garlic, salt, and pepper
- Leave the salad for about three hours prior to consuming it
This salad is very healthy and serves as good preventive measure and treatment for various health issues.