Food for depression is something that will become a common practice in the future, according to many experts.
It is not surprising because the nutrition experts in developed countries are in the constant search for the ideal menus whose content solves a variety of health problems, including depression and eternal problem of how to lighten the mood.
In the past several years, many states have published studies with the unique conclusion: what we eat is directly related to how you feel. It was found that a diet based on processed foods and sugar and a variety of stimulating substances increases the risk of depression – in some cases up to 58%.
CARBOHYDRATES CAUSE DEPRESSION
How often do you reach for a cup of coffee to wake up or biscuits around two in the afternoon for a quick lifting of sugar and energy (until it gets a real lunch)? Overall, you feel that you eat healthily, but do you know that these sugar and caffeine supplements can bring a real mess in your mood and it can feed depression? Easily the connection between food and mood is still a mystery, there is some very convincing theory about it.
The most obvious indicator is that processed carbohydrates and a small amount of protein, which constitute the diet of most people cause adverse fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Unstable blood glucose in the body disrupts numerous functions.
Low blood sugar levels characteristic of a form of depression that is often seen in young women, but not manifested so much melancholy as mood swings, low-level of self-confidence, general weakness, and hypersensitivity.
Instead of dealing with the ups and downs that make life most people, the brain fails to recover from negative experiences and people are increasingly falling. It seems that the resistance of the brain is the key factor in the relationships between food and mood.
FOOD FOR BRAIN AND MEMORY AGAINST DEPRESSION
A large number of studies show the same thing: the higher representation of omega-3 fatty acids in the diet lower the risk of depression because it is an ideal healthy food for good mood. It was found that by taking omega-3 fatty acids in the form of supplements dramatically increases the ability of defense against stress.
Moreover, clinical studies have shown that brain cells treated with omega-3 fatty acids react differently to stress hormone than when this nutrient is absent from the diet. The main difference in the reaction to the stress caused by the fact that cells exposed to omega-3 fats produces new neurons when they are under stress.
This process, called neurogenesis, is associated with a reduced risk of depression (the newly created neurons are brain shock absorbers in a stressful situation). In contrast, refined sugar, caffeine, alcohol and fat stop neurogenesis and increase depression. According to other theories, scarce and inadequate nutrition starts the process of release of chemicals that cause the symptoms of depression.
Processed carbohydrates in the diet do not contain B-complex vitamins, which are essential for the production of neurotransmitters responsible for stimulating good mood. Also, some foods (especially those with a high content of fat and sugar) create a similar effect on the brain as drugs. When this effect passes, the person is in a more depressive condition and that can produce excessive indisposition than usual.
FOOD AGAINST DEPRESSION
Does all this mean that in the near future, people with depression will be treated equally by nutritionist and a psychiatrist? Many experts hope that the right food for depression will become common practice in future. Since the importance of nutrition in maintaining overall health more apparent, and that the information about all accessible, expectations of experts will, in all likelihood, soon realize. food against depression.
Of course, no one is suggesting that people suffering from depression do not require the help of specialists, because if we do not eliminate the physiological causes of depression, omega-3 fatty acids can help a person feel better. Proper diet certainly increases the body’s resistance to daily stress, but in any case worth correct menu. Even people who do not know they have a problem with depressive phases and their condition explain the loss of will and energy, will be surprised by the positive effects of proper nutrition.
So, healthy food for depression means that stabilize blood sugar levels by reducing the number of processed carbohydrates in the diet and increase the proportion of protein in every meal. Also, add more omega-3 fatty acids (nuts, seeds, and fatty fish) and soon you will be convinced to what extent your mood repair. We suggest a few simple meals to your brain to provide the necessary “food”, and this for the whole week.
Top 10 – BEST FOOD AGAINST DEPRESSION
1. The organic meat – contains a significant amount of omega-3 fatty acids, which helps reduce the risk of depression by 50% .
2. Integral carbohydrates – stabilize blood sugar levels and allow for the establishment of essential chemicals in the brain – therefore are the ideal food for depression.
3. Curry – the main component of the spice turmeric – raises the level of BDNF substances in the body, which are low-value characteristic of depression.Ajurvedska medicine says this is the curcumin food for depression and various anxiety disorders.
4. Dark green leafy vegetables – contains plenty of folic acids, which stimulates the production of neurotransmitters good mood.
5. Mackerel – this fish is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids and regular consumption of mackerel raises the level of brain matter GABA, which blocks the feelings of anxiety and stress, therefore is an extraordinary healthy food for the brain.
6. Legumes (beans) – rich in tryptophan amino acid that is essential for the creation of serotonin (the hormone of happiness and good cheer). Seratonin in food is extremely important in these conditions.
7. Red pepper – German researchers found that the more quickly calms when the level of vitamin C in the body
is high. Red peppers are among the richest sources of this vitamin.
8. Oranges – this type of citrus fruit is rich in inositol, a substance that helps the production of serotonin, are an excellent food for depression. Also
9. Blueberries – the participants of a British study registered a mood improvement in patients by 15% after consuming large portions of fruit and recommended natural blueberry juice .
10. Eggs – contain tryptophan and choline (a B vitamin), which reduce the risk of depression.
HEALTHY FOOD RECIPES AGAINST DEPRESSION
We have prepared more extraordinary recipes with healthy food, which will certainly give an answer to lighten the mood without medication?
Curry chickpeas (for 2 persons)
Legumes are a good source of folic acid, vitamin B-complex, and selenium. Among them, chickpeas is definitely an excellent food for depression .
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 mashed garlic cloves
- large onion, finely chopped
- teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon mild spicy curry powder
- teaspoon ginger powder
- stick celery, chopped
- carrots medium size, cut
- 600 ml of vegetable broth
- 400 g cooked chickpeas (can be canned)
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
Heat the oil in a frying pan (minutes), then add the onion, cumin, turmeric, curry and ginger powder. After two minutes, add celery and carrot and two tablespoons of broth. Cover the pan and cook for two minutes. Add chickpeas, mashed potato and the rest of the broth. Turn up the heat and allow to peek, and then continue to cook for another half hour. Serve with rice and spanać..Odlična food for depression will help you to overcome the arrival of colder weather .
Soup of chestnut and white bean as food against depression (for 4 persons)
Chestnut and white beans are rich in vitamins B-complex and are an excellent food for depression that lifts the mood in patients .
- 200 grams of cooked and peeled chestnuts
- 400 grams of white beans, canned
- chopped carrots,
- chopped thyme sprigs
- 1.2 and vegetable or meat broth
Place all ingredients in a deeper pan, wait until the boil, and then simmer over low heat for 35 minutes. Chestnut mash and beans (you can use the manual / rod blender) and serve with some whole grain bread.
Fillet of salmon in mustard against depression (For 2 persons)
Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, and spinach folic acid, which is a great combination and ideal food for the brain and a good mood.
- 2 small fillets of salmon without skin
- juice and grated rind of orange halves
- tsp clear honey
- teaspoon mustard with a whole grain of mustard
- 3 hands fresh spinach
Place the salmon fillets in a shallow dish. In a small bowl, mix the juice and rind of an orange, honey, and mustard. Pour over fillets the ground and leave in the fridge to marinate for 30-60 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180 degrees. Bake fillets 20-25 minutes. Serve with rice and steamed spinach, foods rich in folic acid is real food for depression.
Lens with mushrooms improves mood (for 2 persons)
Mushrooms and lentils are great sources of selenium, which are the perfect combination of the ideal food for a good mood.
- 25 g of dried mushrooms (optional)
- 200 g of dry lenses which stood submerged in water all night
- tablespoon olive oil
- 2 mashed garlic cloves
- red onion, chopped
- stick of celery, finely chopped
- 2 waist finely chopped leeks
- 50 g chopped walnuts
- tablespoons fresh thyme (thyme)
Keep dry mushrooms immersed in warm water for half an hour, then drain them and use this water for cooking lenses (add water if necessary). Heat the oil in a pan and in it fry garlic, leeks, celery and onion (about two minutes). Then cover the pan and cook over low heat for another five minutes (until all ingredients are tender). Stir in mushrooms, cooked lentils, and nuts, and finally, add the thyme and white pepper.
Smoked salmon with eggs and chives (for 2 persons)
The latest studies reveal that eggs contain more vitamin D than previously believed – a low-level of this vitamin is associated with depression.
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 75 g smoked salmon, chopped
- handful chopped fresh chives
Beat the eggs with ground black pepper. Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat and pour the mixture in scrambled eggs. Gently mix until they are baked, and when they finished, remove the pan from the heat and stir the chopped salmon and chives. This is the real food antidepressant that brings a better mood …
Pasta with anchovies and tomatoes (For 2 persons)
Tomato, olives, and anchovies in the Mediterranean cuisine are used often and in large quantities. It has been proven that these foods reduce the risk of depression by 30% and bring a solution to lighten the mood .
- 4 tablespoons of good quality tomato sauce
2 tablespoons black olives (pitted)
2 handfuls of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
50 g fillets of fresh anchovyPour the sauce into the pan and add a tablespoon of water, olives and cherry tomatoes. Cook over low heat (should not boil) until tomatoes are tender, then add the anchovies. Serve with integral spiral pasta.
We hope you like our suggestions, if your finance allows you to try some of them, you will not be wrong because this is an exceptionally healthy food for depression, which makes you feel good.